I finally started on my T-shirt quilt on the weekend. And just like everyone kept telling me, it was way easier than I thought once I got started.

I interfaced the wrong side of all the T-shirt fronts. I made the interfacing as big as I could before I started cutting. Than I cut them apart. That was stressful lol.

What amazed me was the T-shirt sizes. Some of the shirts were labeled Xlarge and yet they were smaller than the small T-shirts. Insane! I should mention, I didn't pick the t-shirts by size when I purchased them, I picked them because of the fronts. 1 I lucked out on when I discovered that the back had a logo too.

Two of the shirts were small enough that I ended up having to leave a little bit of the sleeve seam in the square. I don't think it's going to be noticeable. It was either that or lose some of the T-shirt front.

After cutting the shirts, I laid them out on the floor how I wanted them to go. Was happy to see that I could make each block the same width. But I made two rows 14inchs and one row 16 just to shake things up a little.

I started with the middle row, the 16inch wide one, and started fiddling with them to figure out how long the blocks should be. Once I settled on the size, I cut the blocks than sewed on some sashing strips.

I did notice there is a lot of waste. I guess it really isn't waste when I cut the T-shirts so big originally. This is the pile after trimming all the blocks down to the correct size. I did end up running out of black interfacing so a few of them ended up with white. Hope that doesn't show through when I quilt it.

Here's the blocks at the start. And the only picture I'm going to show until it's finished.

I did end up getting the rows sewn together as well. I just need to even up the sides than I can get the top sewn together. It's going together so well that I don't see a problem having it quilted next week. yay!


Barb said...

Coming right along...I felt your frustration on the interfacing...but it turned out okay after all was said and done.

Peggy said...

Rhonda - you make it sound so easy - when I did mine, I sweat bullets - but then I didn't have all my logos the same size and had to do a lot of figuring to put borders on each block to get them up to where they'd work. And I was so thankful that Quilted Cats agreed to do the quilting, because it was HUGE!!! Looking forward to seeing your end result.

rachel griffith said...

you started it!!!

{time for me to start being jealous.}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...